Friday, August 22, 2014

The Twice Lost

I love mermaid books. I used to try to pretend I was a mermaid as a little kid in pools. I was usually very unsuccessful because my hips just don't move like that. Anyway, I love reading beautifully written books about mermaids, and perhaps one of the best I've ever read comes from Sarah Porter in her Lost Voices trilogy. Warning: this is the last in the trilogy so mild spoilers.


12450811
Retrieved from Goodreads
The humans know about the mermaids and how they've been sinking ships with their voices. With the government sending out teams to slaughter mermaids up and down the coasts, Luce frantically tries to warn as many as she can before they're killed. Then in San Francisco she meets the hundreds of mermaids who had been cast out of their tribes for breaking the timahk. And it is there that she finally takes control of the mermaids and becomes the general of the Twice Lost Army with the goal of ending the violence against mermaids once and for all.

Oh this book. Such gorgeous writing. I love books like this that pop around to a lot of different perspectives, and this book does it well. We are introduced to several new characters while also getting to see Luce transform into the leader of the mermaids as they face off against the humans. In some places I found her solutions to problems rather childish, and I do wish Dana and Violet had a bigger role after coming to care for them in Waking Storms. Overall I greatly enjoyed this book with it's gorgeous descriptions of undersea life and some truly heart wrenching moments of inhumanity with Anais. Would totally recommend this series to anyone who loves to read about our finned friends.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars Up Next: The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau and Fever by Lauren DeStefano

No comments:

Post a Comment