Monday, July 7, 2014

Right Book, Wrong Genre

Do you guys remember my first novel? I wouldn't blame you if you don't. It was a YA adventure about a girl who is captured by pirates with the promise that she'll be killed once she becomes an adult. I loved that series. It was based on a story my dad used to tell me when I was little. I loved hearing about pirate ships and sword fights and all manner of horrifying things. But looking back, the plot of Griffin's Song (still love that title) was rather thin. Sarah didn't want to die. Planned to escape. Failed. Planned to escape. Failed. You see where I'm going with this.

Well, that week in Hawaii did more good than I expected. Besides getting a little bit of sun into this woefully vitamin D deficient skin, I also had a spark of inspiration. Thanks to my SO and a lot of time in the car, I have made a decision.

I am going to rewrite Griffin's Song as a YA fantasy. I'm really excited about this, guys, and I'll tell you more when I've got all the details figured out. I still plan on writing Spiral, the last companion novel to Balancing Act, and I think I've decided to finish off Poison Ivy for this year's NaNo. But I think it'll be nice to rewrite a project I loved so much. It was my baby, and I know deep down it's got a good story in it.

Anyway, continue with your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment