Thursday, July 31, 2014

Vortex

I loved Insignia when I read it last summer. In fact, I read it in two days, and would have read it in one sitting if it hadn't been for work. When I got around to Vortex I was very excited, but I also had work to do. I've also recently started watching Dr. Who, and one week and three seasons later I'm seriously hooked. I cried when the Doctor said goodbye to Rose, and I cringed when the weeping angels appeared. All this to say, I took longer than anticipated in reading this book.


16101515
Retrieved from Goodreads
Tom Raines has been promoted to a Middle in the Intrasolar combatant training program. He has friends in the program, and a neural processor in his head. But he also has a hot head, and his pride gets gim into trouble with the very people he'll rely upon to become an official combatant. He needs to figure out what he's going to fight for and how to do it without making all the wrong enemies.

It's sort of hard to describe what this book's about. A lot of it is about different people getting different blackmail and Tom making rash decisions based on pride and then complaining when there are consequences. I don't say this as a complaint of the book. It's actually very important because his choices affect the Intrasolar war between the Indo-Americans and the Russo-Chinese. Him discovering that actions have consequences is part of the character arc, and it's very important. There were parts where I laughed out loud, and parts where it lagged. Overall, I enjoyed this book quite a bit, but not as much as Insignia. I'm very excited to see how it turns out in Catalyst when it comes out in paperback.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

No comments:

Post a Comment