Monday, July 14, 2014

Steadfast

It's been a while since I've written, folks. I had a deadline looming on my first book for Month9Books, so I had to put aside pleasure reading for a while in order to focus. Also, my eyes were so exhausted that reading in general looking at words made my head hurt. But yesterday my eyes felt rested enough to pick up Steadfast by Claudia Gray. Note: this is a sequel, so mild spoiler alert. But then again, you guys all know I do spoilers. Anyway!


17230200
Retrieved from Goodreads
Nadia Caldini and her friends thought they had seen the last of Elizabeth Pike when she didn't appear from the burning haunted house on Halloween. But she returned with news: Nadia's attempts to stop her plans actually aided them. And she wants Nadia as an apprentice. But Nadia knows that's tantamount to selling her soul to the One Beneath, and that she'll never do. Instead, she and her Steadfast, Mateo, and her best friend Verlaine rush to figure out what Elizabeth is really up to. But working against them are Mateo's curse of seeing the future, Verlaine's curse which makes it so no one can love her, and a demon wearing a dead human's body who serves Elizabeth...mostly.

I really enjoyed Spellcaster when I read it last year. And I enjoyed this book, too! Maybe not as much because if I were Nadia I would have been thinking of some more physical ways to take Elizabeth out instead of magic. Some of her plans to stop her seemed rather...feeble. And there were definitely times where the pace lagged. But I love love LOVE Verlaine, who has a quirky style and an open heart and such a horrible lot in life. And the descriptions were rich and the writing easy to read. Also, I am still in love with how Gray formed her magic. You have the lines of a spell, and then you feed memories into each line. It's really cool! I'm excited that the final installment has a release date and a cover, and I'll definitely be reading it when it comes out.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers

No comments:

Post a Comment