Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Selection Stories

I am home from Europe! I spent 14 hours on a plane yesterday, and when all was said in done I was awake for an entire day. So today I am battling jet lag. I've been vacillating between extreme exhaustion, extreme hyperness, extreme hunger, and extreme distaste for any and all food. It's been really fun. So today I get to relax. Today I am letting myself read as much as I want. First up in this summer's reading project is The Selection Stories by Kiera Cass. This is a compilation of two novellas from the POVs of Maxon and Aspen and concern the events of The Selection and The Elite.

Prince Maxon thought he was prepared for the Selection of his wife. But that was before he realized he somehow had to fall in love with someone, have them fall in love with him, have his parents and the public approve, and have the girl be a capable co-monarch. Suddenly the task ahead seems daunting. Then the night before the public meeting with the 35 Selected options, he meets America. And she is fiery and doesn't want to marry him. But he may have found a friend who can get him through this monumental task.
The Selection Stories: The Prince & The Guard
Retrieved from Goodreads

Aspen Leger was a Six. Now he's a Two and a palace guard. And he can't bear to watch America go through the process of Selection when he loves her, especially now that she's made it into the Elite. But he also knows how hard, if not impossible, it would be for them to get together. When another Elite is caught with a guard and cast out of the palace, and rebels storm the gates, Aspen's thoughts are all of America, and how he wants to be able to love her freely.

This was a nice short book that was easily digestible for my jet lagged brain. I always enjoy seeing love stories from both POVs, so it was nice to see what Maxon and Aspen are thinking. Their different thoughts about America were especially interesting because they're similar but also quite different. Where Aspen longs for America and how things were before they came to the palace, Maxon finds her refreshingly blunt and interesting. New love versus old love. It's an interesting mix. Of course, it's been a while since I've read The Selection and The Elite, so some of the references were lost on me. But I still enjoyed this quick read. I must say I am a fan of the novellas authors are putting out these days. It really satiates my inner fangirl.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up next: Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment