Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Fierce Reads Tour

I got to meet Leigh Bardugo! It was so awesome. This was actually last week, but I haven't gotten then chance to write about it until now. It was part of the Fierce Reads Tour which also included Emmy Laybourne (author of the Monument14 trilogy), Ava Dellaira (author of Love Letters to the Dead), and Jennifer Mathieu (author of The Truth About Alice). And, guys, it was so cool!!

It started off with some of your basic questions to the panel about their books, and then moved into the deep stuff, and then into fun stuff, and then to questions from the audience. I've decided that the next time I go to an author event I'm going to live tweet it because I never remember all the funny things I want to tell you all. But I'm going to try.

Emmy Laybourne was especially funny. She hated her healthy breakfast and joked that her favorite late night room service order was a stripper before admitting it was a bowl of mixed berries. She thinks what she's learned most from her characters is how to get in touch with her anger when her rights have been infringed upon. She also is really excited about her upcoming book, Sweet,  which when she described it to the audience let out a collective "OOOOH." It sounds pretty awesome, guys.

Jennifer Mathieu and Ava Dellaira were also fantastic, talking about their debut novels.

But for me the highlight of the evening (and this should not reflect at all on the other authors, I've just only read her books at this point) was Leigh Bardugo. She was so sassy. Almost every time she opened her mouth the audience laughed. She had clearly read the Slate article (you know which one I mean) and was quick to say how stupid it was. She was awesome about not giving away spoilers, thank god, because I haven't read Ruin and Rising yet.

When we got to the part for audience questions I swallowed my fear of speaking in front of people and raised my hand. I asked what the query process was like for them. Jennifer answered that it was a long slog, and she gave me some tips on resources to which Ava added. And you know what was cool? I knew almost all of them. That really made me happy. These NYT bestselling authors and I had something in common. I was using the same resources they had to get published.

When I waited in line to get my books signed Ava thanked me for being such a good audience member (*blush*) and Leigh was so nice when she signed my book.

It was a fantastic evening, guys. I can't wait to go to another signing.

No comments:

Post a Comment