Friday, May 9, 2014

Untitled #3 Gets a Name

As you all know, my first novel, Balancing Act, was released through Entranced Publishing in February, only to go off the market a month and a half later when the press closed. I was devastated, but also excited to start anew. A lot of my friends from Entranced are trying their hands at self-pubbing, or are subbing to agents and presses. And I'm throwing my hat into the querying pool once again. Balancing Act is a much better book than it was when I tried querying it the first time. I'm quite proud of it. So over the past month or so I've been sending off queries.

But that's not really what this post is supposed to be about.

The companion novel to Balancing Act, Saddle Sore, was written last year and I have been off and on editing it for many months. I was planning on subbing it to Entranced, even. Saddle Sore follows Nikki, a California girl living in Colorado after her parents die, and her attempts to heal while falling in love with horseback riding and Grant.

For a long time I mulled over what to do for the third book in what I guess could be called my trilogy. These books are very tenuously connected, mostly by the idea of healing in different ways. I knew I wanted the third (and probably final one) to be about ice skating, but it wasn't until I finished Saddle Sore that I had a sense of who I wanted the story to follow. At first I thought it might be about Jen, Callie's friend from Balancing Act. But that never grabbed me. But with Saddle Sore, Jasmine Rose Murphy was born.

It wasn't until I was on the last leg of a 12 hour bus tour through the Scottish Highlands that I had a breakthrough with the story, though.

I don't have a blurb for you yet, but hopefully I'll have one soon. I will tell you though that Jasmine has purple-streaked hair, a fierce talent for ice skating, and hates that she has her dad's eyes. She also just slept with her best friend. The catch: he's friends with her boyfriend.

But the best part of my breakthrough was this: I have a title!

So, I present to you the beginning of a new WIP entitled Spiral

No comments:

Post a Comment