Monday, May 26, 2014

Reasons I Love Celaena Sardothien

It was quite a roundabout path which took me to thinking about one of my favorite YA fantasy heroines, Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. I was on pinterest (I know, should have been writing) pinning a bunch of gorgeous gowns that I love but would never have an occasion to wear. And for some reason I started thinking about all the clothes and books Celaena got to buy with her salary from the king. And I was suddenly jealous of a fictional character.

There are many reasons I love this fantasy series, making it one of the first series in a long time that I've gone back and reread. So since it's a slow day for me, I thought I'd list them.

  1. She gets to buy all the books and gowns she wants, and she doesn't discriminate based on genre. No explanation needed as to why I love this.
  2. She has an awesome dog, Fleetfoot, who I want when I get my own place with enough land to run on.
  3. She keeps every book she gets, even if she doesn't like it. I'm the same way. A book hoarder. I even have two copies of Black Beauty because one was a gift and I couldn't part with the other.
  4. She is a pig when it comes to food she likes, especially sweets. I mean, come on, the girl demolished most of a 5 pound bag of candy in one sitting. You've gotta respect that.
  5. She got to ride the fastest horse in the world. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky, and I did horseback riding for six years, and my favorite times where when I would ride so fast the sides of my vision would blur. This horse appeals to me very much.
  6. She's smart. I mean, really, really clever. I always love me some badass assassin heroines and what they can see just by looking at someone (Aly from Trickster's Choice, June from Legend).
  7. She is so tough. She can scale walls and fight and use weapons. I wish I were even slightly that tough.
  8. She's not perfect. She may be beautiful and smart and have great taste in clothes, but she has her cowardly side. She's afraid to make big choices, even when she wants to be brave. Who hasn't been in that situation? Honestly? Granted, most of us probably don't have a kingdom at stake, but still.
  9. She's a good friend on the whole. She and Chaol (excuse me while I swoon) are so cute together, even when they aren't being lovey dovey. They're good together all the time! Same with her and Dorian. As soon as they get their hormones out of the mix they have a great dynamic. And Nehemia (*sob*)...
I could go on for a while about why I love Calaena and this series, but I won't. But I do want to say one of my very favorite things about Calaena. She can both appreciate beautiful things like clothes, but also cut someone's head off. Girls of the world, you are allowed to like pretty clothes and playing sports and reading romance novels. You can like anything you want, it won't make you any less of a badass.

I guess this post was just a really long way of saying how much I wish Heir of Fire were coming out today instead of September 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment