Friday, May 16, 2014

How about that Bard, yeah?

As I've told ya'll previously, I haven't really gotten the chance to read anything new while I've been in England because of Kindle's rules about what you can access once you return to your normal country. But, I have been taking classes, and since I'm an English major, that means books! So far we've read a bunch of short stories, Oliver Twist, Henry IV, and now we're working on Much Ado About Nothing.

Much Ado About Nothing has been my favorite Shakespeare play since I saw the movie in 9th grade. It's the kind of play that I search out because I love it so much. I watch the movie for fun, I have a copy of the play because I WANTED it. That doesn't happen a lot with books you traditionally read in school.

Anyways, we're reading it for one of my classes. And I'll tell you why this play is still my favorite Shakespeare all these years later: the banter. Oh my god the banter between Beatrice and Benedick. I want to be her when I'm all grown up. She is so sharp, and she has an answer for everything. She is at once hard as rocks and vulnerable. Emma Thompson's depiction of her is pretty damn perfect in my opinion.

So, if you happen to be in London and see a girl on the Underground smiling like an idiot over a copy of Much Ado About Nothing, hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment