Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Allegiant

Okay, I've thought long and hard about this review. Because I know people's thoughts on this book are pretty polarized. And, as usual, I fall somewhere in the middle. It's been a crazy few weeks, as per usual. I've been sightseeing in London and going to class. And, because I spend quite a bit of time on the Underground, I've gotten quite a bit of reading done.


17383918
Retrieved from Goodreads
I'm not going to include a description of this book because it would just be too complicated. Instead, check it out on Goodreads. Needless to say, Tris discovers some more damning evidence about people, who are never quite what they seem. There will be spoilers below, so if you haven't read the first two books, be warned.

One of my problems with Insurgent was that so many characters died that I stopped caring after a while. I was much more interested in Tris' internal struggles with right and wrong, as well as her relationship with Tobias and the faction system. Allegiant had quite a bit of this so I was mostly pleased. But also a little bored. The stuff with the Bureau controlling the experiments, and how Tris and Tobias started living there was just dull to me. Of course, finding out about the serums and the origin of the factions was cool, but the physical-ness of the Bureau was dull to me, as was the inevitable uprising against the Bureau. But as usual I loved Tris' complexity, especially with her relationship with her brother.

Okay, big spoiler below. Seriously, if you care about spoilers, stop reading.

The Big Shocking Ending. Some people hated that Tris died because it was from a bullet, and that was so wrong for someone who could survive the death serum. Some loved it because life isn't perfect, even in books. As usual, I'm in the middle. I think I would have hated it if not for one section at the beginning of the book. Tris says that there is no talent in not being shot. It's luck to not be standing where a bullet goes. And that made it more okay for me. It was a tough ending to write, and I was sad to see Tris go. But at the time time I was sorta miffed that she died wiping the memories of a ton of people. Maybe it's just all the fantasy and other dystopian I read, but it didn't seem like the way to go for me. For someone who spent a lot of time realizing you can't make generalizations about people, she wiped the memory of tons of people just because they worked for the Bureau.

Conclusion: enjoyable book, and I still adore the first one, but I was left feeling just a bit disappointed in the ending.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment