Tuesday, March 18, 2014

These Broken Stars

It's finals week around here, folks. Which this quarter turned out to be a piece of cake. I have one more final on Thursday, but other than that I'm in the clear. So what have I been doing with all this luxurious free time? Why, reading of course! I started These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner two days ago, and finished it off yesterday. It's been great, spending hours on reading again. I haven't done that in too long (okay, it's only been a few weeks, but it feels like a lot longer). Anyways, onward!


13138635
Retrieved from Goodreads
It's a regular night aboard the luxurious spaceliner, the Icarus. The rich and powerful are gossiping, and Tarver Merendson is exercising with the other military personnel aboard. Then, tragedy strikes. The ship is pulled out of hyperspace and plummets to the nearest planet. The only survivors are Lilac LaRoux, the daughter of the richest man in the universe, and Tarver, a war hero. They hate each other, but must rely on each other if they're to survive this mysteriously terraformed yet deserted planet. It doesn't help that Lilac hit her head while hot wiring their escape pod, and is now having visions. But this tragedy may end up being a blessing in disguise as the two grow closer.

This story has been described as Titanic in space. It was also blurbed by Beth Revis and Marie Lu, two authors I have some serious respect for. So, I was pretty excited to read this book. And, it is kind of a Titanic story. The ship crashes early on, leaving these two people with very different backgrounds stranded. But it's more a story of survival, and I like that. I found it more engaging than Ashfall's survival story, certainly. And I honestly grew to care for Lilac and Tarver. I won't give away any spoilers, but there is one portion later in the story than honestly had my heart wrenching. That's pretty hard to do, folks. But anyways, I didn't have many complaints with this book. It was a satisfying read and I'm looking forward to This Shattered World when it comes out in November. I did have one thing: I really wanted to know more about the world outside the planet they landed on. This story was quite unique, but I was seriously interested in the society outside the crash. Maybe in the next one?

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

No comments:

Post a Comment