Monday, March 17, 2014

The Assassin's Blade

Okay, I actually finished this book a few days ago, but things have been crazy and I haven't gotten around to a review. What kind of crazy, you ask? Finals. Already. When the hell did that happen? This quarter has gone by faster than any of the ones before it. And I finally took some time in between my multiple projects and papers to read this series of 5 novellas that act as a prequel to The Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.


18243700
Retrieved from Goodreads
Calaena Sardothien is one of the most deadly assassins in Adarlan. Her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn, and the Assassin's Guild. Calaena trusts no one, not even her fellow killer Sam. But things start to change when she's sent to make a deal with a pirate lord. Suddenly Calaena is forced to make choices about what she believes in. And she has no idea the kind of ripple effect those choices will have.

It's no secret how much I love the Throne of Glass series. I'm also glad I waited for these novellas to be packaged in hardback before I bought them. It looks so pretty, sitting up on my shelf next to the other ones. I greatly enjoyed these stories. It also gave me insight into some of the things Calaena talks about in the novels. Things which made sense in context, but that I'm really glad I know more about now. I loved seeing Calaena's evolution from mindless assassin to having a tenuous moral center. The Assassin and the Healer was the only one that felt slow to me, but I'm hoping to see the healer in future Throne of Glass stories. And the ending got me right in the feels. I knew what was going to happen, and I couldn't stop it. I even grew to love Sam, even though I'm firmly in camp Chaol. Can't wait for Heir of Fire to come out!

Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars
Up Next: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

No comments:

Post a Comment