Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Unravel Me

Oh my god. I was totally not planning on binge reading Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi over the long weekend. Yes, I had worked pretty hard last week so that I wouldn't be snowed under with work. But I still hadn't planned on getting swept away. Some background. If you missed my review of Something Strange and Deadly, you don't know that my SO and I waited too long to make reservations on Valentine's Day. What did we do instead? We took the money we would have spent on dinner and bought books instead. I got Unravel Me, Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi, and These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman. And today I finished off the first one. (spoiler warning: this is a review of a sequel and will contain slight spoilers)
13104080
Retrieved from Goodreads

Juliette has joined the gifted outcasts of Omega Point, a secret rebel group planning to go against The Reestablishment. As she tries to master the power of her lethal touch, Warner and his men are scouring the area looking for the rebels. With her are Adam, one of the only people who can touch her without pain, and Kenji, the invisible boy who holds more power that Juliette could ever imagine. But things are never as simple as they seem. Juliette may have escaped the Reestablishment, but she can never escape who she is. She is a killer, a delicate flower with a deadly bite.

When I read Shatter Me I was on the fence about the writing style. The use of metaphor and imagery felt a bit heavy-handed at times. I loved the use of the strike-throughs, partly because I'd never seen them used in a novel before. I think at the end I liked it mostly for the ending (because oh my lord who saw that coming?), and I said I would read the sequel. Well holy hell am I glad I did. At 461 pages, Unravel Me is not a light middle novel. But it is seriously packed with information. It is not, as some second novels, filler until you get to the end. In this story you discover things about every single one of the major characters that are pivotal. And if the metaphors were heavy-handed in places I simply didn't care. Because I felt so bad for Juliette. And may I be one of the many to applaud Mafi on a seriously successful love V. I have no idea who I want Juliette to end up with, Adam or Warner. I will tell you this, though. There was one chapter so emotionally jarring that I had to set the book aside. I actually felt sick after experiencing anger, desire, pity, disgust, sadness. It was rough, guys. I can't wait for Ignite Me to come out in paperback.

Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars
Up Next: Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

No comments:

Post a Comment