Thursday, January 30, 2014

Wither

Well this week is keeping with all the rest this quarter. This weekend I had to do: a ten page short story, a five page paper, another five page paper, plus regular homework. It's been a tough week. Between work, my release next week, and preparing for study abroad, I've been slammed with having to make lots of decisions. I finally had a pretty big panic attack, and  then I settled down. Things are starting to fall into place. Balancing Act is coming out in less than a week! I'm leaving for England in less than two months! Anywho, in between freak outs, I read Wither by Lauren DeStefano.

8525590
Retrieved from Goodreads
Rhine lives in a world where women die at age 20 and men at 25 of a virus that has no antidote. This has led the world to devolve into selling women into polygamous marriages where they are forced to shoot out as many babies as possible to keep the species going. Rhine managed to stay free until she was sixteen. But now she's the sister wife to Jenna, Cecily, and Rose, and the wife of Linden, a rich house Governor. She wants nothing more than to escape and find her twin brother Rowan. But there seems to be no way out of this endless house. There are a few brief moments of joy in her life now, and most of them are with Gabriel, the attendant who seems to have forgotten there is such a thing as freedom.

I loved DeStefano's writing. It was lyrical, but understandable. I have trouble with books that use so many metaphors I'm drowning in them. This book wasn't like that. It made me feel for Rhine, and when thirteen-year-old Cecily goes into labor early my heart was pounding and I was sickened that she'd been forced to get pregnant. Overall, an enjoyable book. But I did have some issues with it. 1) Confusing world building. Apparently the ice caps were obliterated, but there was no rise in sea level? Maybe it's the earth sciences minor in me, but that seemed far fetched. 2) Lots of telling. There were quite a few scenes described I would have liked to have seen rather than heard about to develop the sister wives. 3) Rhine is never forced to have sex. In a society where women are baby factories, this made no sense to me. Sure, her husband is weak willed and grieving for his first wife , but I just couldn't imagine her barely having to push him away to get her way. 4) Bunch of girls are killed if not sold into marriage. In a world where a womb is sacred and they're trying to make more babies, my mind couldn't wrap around this. All this, and I still liked the book because of the writing. I will be reading Fever.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

No comments:

Post a Comment