Monday, January 6, 2014

The Perfect Match

Happy New Year, everyone! I know I've been MIA the past few weeks. What with Christmas, editing, and travel, I've been slammed. I spent my New Year's Eve as any college student would--I laid in bed and watched the ball drop and then went straight to sleep. Granted, I did this in a hotel room in California, so no complaints at all. I had a great few days in California taking in the sights and eating delicious food. And between some down time at the airport and the flight home, I polished off The Perfect Match by Kristan Higgins.

17738218
Retrieved from Goodreads
Honor Holland has always been the reliable, predictable one in the family. And she likes it that way. But when some news concerning how precious the years are for fertility comes from the family doctor, she's starting to feel the crunch of settling down. After she's rejected by the man she's loved for 17 years, it seems like things can't get much worse. But then three weeks later he's engaged to her best friend. Meanwhile, Tom Barlow, a British mechanical engineering professor, needs a green card. He wants to be near his almost-stepson Charlie, who he's not even sure likes him. With no job prospects in sight, he may need a marriage of convenience. When the two of them meet, sparks of practicality fly and they decide to tie the knot. But more than fraud may be in the air.

Higgins' books always make me laugh, cringe, and well up. This one did not disappoint. Honor is such a loyal sister and daughter, and seeing her interact with her family was probably the highlight of this book. I felt so bad for her when her friend betrays her and doesn't even apologize, and when the man she loved didn't understand what she'd been feeling all these years. I will definitely continue to read Higgins' work. But there were a few downsides to this book. Unlike other books of Higgins', the sparks of romance didn't really seem to fly between Tom and Honor. They aren't together for much of the book, and when they are it's hardly steamy. And I was a little weirded out by the fact that Honor's eggs became a fake character in the book. Funny, but weird at the same time. I love the Holland family, and will read more for them. But Barlow just didn't cut it for me with his meanness and his drinking. When he was with Charlie I liked him, but other times he was just a jerk.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: A Darkness Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

No comments:

Post a Comment