Friday, January 24, 2014

Defiance

I know I keep saying that this quarter is really work-intensive, but seriously, guys, it's kicking my butt. Night before last my head was spinning with all the stuff I had to get done for school and my book launch and I honestly couldn't sleep. I'd been slowly working through Defiance by C J Redwine for a couple days, but that night I was so stressed out and unable to sleep that I read a huge chunk of it. Then I finished the rest off last night. Of course, I still have a lot of work to do, but now I feel as if I had some time for myself.


11410430
Retrieved from Goodreads
Rachel Adams' father, the best courier in Baalboden has been missing for sixty days, and is now presumed dead. This means many things. 1) Rachel is assigned a new Protector, her father's apprentice Logan, who she confessed her love for two years ago only to have him throw it back in her face 2) Rachel doesn't think he's dead, but the only way to go and find him is to sneak out of Baalboden under the watchful eyes of the Commander. 3) The Commander doesn't think he's dead either. Escaping is only the start of Rachel and Logan's troubles though. Once they escape there's the Wasteland to deal with, and the threat of death if they don't succeed in finding whatever it was Rachel's father disappeared with to keep out of the Commander's reach.

I know that this book has quite a few bad reviews on Goodreads, mostly with words like "overwritten" and "one note villain" and "contrived emotional responses" and they are all valid. But I actually really enjoyed reading this book. It might have something to do with the fact that I was starved for some kind of reading material that wasn't history annals from the 7th century. But I liked reading about Logan and Rachel as they try to get out of Baalboden. Yes, the world building is shoddy at best and the villain in Commander Chase is really a one note character. But through it all, I just liked the story. The Cursed One that ravages the country side was weird, but I liked seeing Rachel go from being this hopeful girl to being torn apart by all the horrible things she sees and does. Does that make me a bad person? Probably. Anyway, I will definitely be reading Deception, but if you're thinking of picking this book up based on this review, be warned, it's not for everyone.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment