Thursday, December 26, 2013

Scarlet

Happy Holidays, everyone! For those of you who celebrate Christmas,  I hope you got a lot of books to read. I know I did. That's a perk of being addicted to reading. They're basically the only thing on your Christmas list. Now, you see, my family has had a tradition for the past 3 or 4 years that after we do all our Christmas traditions it's pretty much every man to their own corner to play with their new gadgets. My dad went to play with some new software my mom got him. My mom tried to figure out her new kindle. And me? I pulled out Scarlet by AC Gaughen. My tradition on Christmas is to read a book all the way through in one day. This used to be hard to do, but lately not so much. So, without further ado, my review of Scarlet.


11983940
Retrieved from Goodreads
Posing as a boy in Robin Hood's band of thieves, Scarlet is one of the cleverest of them all. She can scale a wall, throw knives with deadly accuracy, and travel the length of Sherwood forest by running through tree branches. But everything is not merry for this little band. Tax day is coming, and the sheriff of Nottingham will string up anyone who can't pay. So Robin and his men will pay for them. But when a thief taker named Gisbourne comes to town, that task becomes all the harder. Gisbourne is ruthless, and he's after Scarlet in particular.

Okay, so I loved the idea of a retelling of Robin Hood. Apparently there are a lot of them out there (steal from the rich and give to the poor) but to my knowledge I haven't read one. So I was very excited to pick this book up, as it also seemed to promise a kickass heroine. And Scarlet is pretty kickass. How Robin Hood is with a bow, she is with knives. And the tree thing was pretty cool. There were several points where my heart was thumping faster than normal. But this story did not grab me as I hoped it would for several reasons. 1) Using "were" instead of "was." This is a big technique in the story to show Scarlet's uneducated speech. But it just bugged me. 2) Where did Scarlet learn to throw knives? This is never explained, and some important backstory shows she would have had about 2 years to go from completely useless with them, to damn near perfect. 3) Love V. I don't care if there's a love V as long as it's done well and not a way to make an otherwise intelligent heroine into an idiot. And this V started out promising. John Little was quiet, strong, and seemed to take Scarlet for what she was. Robin saw exactly who Scarlet was and didn't treat her any differently for being a girl. It had promise. And then it imploded. Robin refuses to believe that Scarlet isn't with John even though she tells him explicitly 3 or 4 times. And he calls her a whore for being forced into an engagement when she was 13. Nope, sorry, can't do it. Lost all respect for him there. By the end I didn't want her with either guy because they were clearly idiots. Wow, this went on much longer than I thought it would. Don't be mistaken, I did enjoy this book. And I'll be reading the sequel eventually. These things just bugged me.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars
Up Next: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment