Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Linger

As I wrote yesterday, I haven't been reading much. I've had so much work between finals and my job and life stuff that at the end of the day I just want to collapse into bed and watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Incidentally, I'm watching season 6 now! But now that I'm on break and have a bit more time on my hands, I got around to reading Linger by Maggie Stiefvater, the second book in The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. So, spoilers below.


6654313
Retrieved from Goodreads
Sam is a full time boy now, and he's struggling to accept his cure. He's also become the leader of the human pack in place of Beck, his adopted father. There are a couple new wolves in the pack, one of them the lead singer of Narkotika, a very popular band. Self-destructive and cruel, Cole St. Clair is not the kind of guy Sam likes having around. Meanwhile, Grace isn't feeling too well. Her parents have decided they don't approve of Sam and forbid them to see each other until Grace turns eighteen. She keeps feeling sick, like she's about to shift into the wolf she should have become ten years ago, but she can't.

As usual, I loved Stiefvater's prose, which is lyrical and beautiful and paints the best pictures in your head. At the same time, I didn't feel like the prose justified the lack of concrete plot like it totally does in her Raven Boys series. Things crept along in Linger like a sequel that didn't need to exist. Sam feels the burden of responsibility and misses Grace. Grace feels sick but refuses to talk about it. Cole and Isabel shine in this book as new POVs, and they kept me pretty interested. I will definitely read Forever and any napkin Stiefvater writes on, but this book came up short for me. The ending was abrupt and a bit unbelievable. Sam turned from sweet and sad to mopey and afraid. The switch in Grace's parents' opinion of Sam was just too abrupt to believe. And threads like Shelby and Olivia from Shiver were completely lost in this book. But still, love Stiefvater.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: Hidden by Sophie Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment