Friday, December 27, 2013

Hex Hall

I couldn't resist reading another book yesterday. Yes, I have work to do, and quite a bit of it, but I wasn't yet ready to leave my Christmas laziness. So I settled down with my fuzzy blanket and some country music low in the background and read Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins.


5287473
Retrieved from Goodreads
After a prom night spell gone horribly wrong, Sophie Mercer is sent to Hecate Hall, a premier reformatory school for witches, shapeshifters, and faeries. And on the first day she makes quite an impression. She makes enemies with the girls in the strongest coven on campus, befriends the outcast and only vampire in school, and begins a futile crush on Archer, resident heartthrob. Not bad for a day's work. Hecate Hall seems pretty normal, though. Well, as normal as it can be when Lord Byron is actually one of your teachers. But when students start getting attacked, and Sophie's only friend is the number one suspect, her life at Hecate is about to get turned upside down.

Hex Hall reminds me of a cross between Mean Girls and Harry Potter. There's a ton of magic going on, and funny stuff happens when it goes wrong. There's also a lot of telling instead of showing, which leads me to a big observation about this book: I wish it had been longer. I rarely say this because most of the time books could have been edited down. But some of the conversations that are described I wish I could have seen. I think they would have deepened the characters. Another observation: Sophie barely reacts to anything happening around her, even the attacks. She's like a set of eyes for us to see Hex Hall through. But, onto my biggest observation: overall, I didn't care about the downsides. I read Hex Hall in one sitting, and I laughed out loud several times. The writing is quick and witty and, as we all know, easy reading is damn hard writing. I thoroughly enjoyed Hex Hall, and will certainly be picking up the sequel.

*edit: weird thing I just noticed. There is a cat on the cover of this book when there are no cats in the story. Weird...

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

No comments:

Post a Comment