Thursday, November 14, 2013

Champion

This year has been rife with amazing book releases that I've been very excited about. They include Crown of Midnight, The Bitter Kingdom, Days of Blood and Starlight, The Dream Thieves, and Shades of Earth. Suffice it to say, it's been a very fun year for me in books. And adding to this fun comes Champion by Marie Lu, the final novel in the Legend Trilogy which I began reading in the summer of 2012. I have mentioned my love of the details in Lu's books and the fact that the romance is not the center of the plot. Well, I have these feelings and many more about the end of this amazing trilogy. If you don't want spoilers, don't read on.


14290364
Retrieved from Goodreads
Day Wing is a legend in the Republic of America, and their most wanted criminal before he threw his support behind the new Elector, Anden. June Iparis is a prodigal military student of the Republic whose family and faith in the institution has been ripped apart by the Republic's schemes. With a new Elector in power, the Republic is on the brink of peace with the Colonies. That is, until a new plague sweeps through the Colonies and the ceasefire ends. Day's brother is in danger of being used in experiments to find a cure for the plague, and June must convince him to submit to it. June and Day are brought back together after eight months apart to save their country one last time.

Oh how I love Lu's novels. This book has been on my radar ever since I finished Prodigy last year and was amazed at how well it did as a middle novel. The details in this book are just as good as those in previous, and it's one of the reasons I love June as a protagonist. Add this to the fact that she uses logic instead of emotions to make decisions, and doesn't let her feelings for Day interfere with her every thought, and I thought she kicked butt. As for Day, I liked how emotional he was, and how loyal he was to his brother. By the end of the book I was so sad and at peace at the same time. Lu doesn't wrap up the ending in a nice little bow. There are wounds that can't heal and time means a lot of changes that wouldn't be expected. The end of the Legend trilogy was satisfying and heartwarming. Long live the Republic!

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars
Up Next: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

No comments:

Post a Comment