Wednesday, November 20, 2013

NaNo on a Busy Schedule

I am not the busiest person out there. I can think of several right off the bat who would have much more trouble fitting writing into their schedules than I do. But, I do have a busy life. I am a full time student at a university doing a double major in history and creative writing. I am a senior editor at Entranced Publishing, where I assess submissions, edit manuscripts, and interact with a seriously awesome community of people. My own book is also coming out soon, and I'm starting to coordinate with my publicist as to the cover reveal and blurbs and author photo and all that fun stuff. I also try to have a social life.

Suffice it to say, I don't get to write as much as I'd like. It seems that whenever I check something off my To Do list, there's something even more pressing that needs to get done. So I knew this year doing NaNo would be tough. But I needed a way to keep myself accountable for my writing. And NaNo is the perfect way to do that.

How do I fit NaNo into my busy schedule? Well, as it should be, writing is very fun. But I treat it like an item on a check list. It is something I need to get done every day, otherwise that little box will stay unchecked. And I'm a perfectionist enough to not like that.

So while writing is fun for me, I make sure it is something that needs to get done every day or the appearance of my lists will suffer. I am a list person. I even think I've done a blog post about how much I love them. Anyways, it's been working for me. Poison Ivy is at over 31k as of today, and going strong. Now it's back to work. I have a paper due Friday.

How do you fit NaNo into your schedule?

No comments:

Post a Comment