Monday, November 11, 2013

100th Review: Shiver

Oh my gosh, guys, this is a very important review! It's my 100th book review on this blog! And it feels so appropriate that I would be reviewing a book by one of my favorite authors (Maggie Stiefvater). I first read one of Miss Stiefvater's books last summer right before starting my sophomore year of college. It was The Scorpio Races, and I was instantly drawn in by her unique way of characterizing and fleshing out her world. I then went on to read The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves, and met the author herself this year. This review, however, is about an earlier book of Stiefvater: Shiver.

6068551
Retrieved from Goodreads
Grace and Sam have known each other for six years, ever since Grace was attacked by wolves in the woods behind her house. Sam saved her. But he was also part of the pack that attacked her. Sam is a werewolf, and in the summer he is a human while in the cold of winter he's a wolf. He's always been afraid to talk to Grace, until now. There's a new, unstable werewolf on the loose, and the townspeople want to get rid of the wolves once and for all. Winter is coming, but Grace and Sam's love is just beginning.

It's always so hard for me to describe the plots of Stiefvater's novels. There is always so much more going on than a simple description can describe. I just want to shake all my readers through the computer screen and go "It's such an awesome book, you don't even know, just read it." Shiver is of a slightly different style than either The Raven Cycle or The Scorpio Races. There are glimmers of that unique, artistic voice that's most prominent in The Raven Cycle, and so Shiver reminds me more of a typical YA paranormal novel than any of her others. It is beautifully written, and a cool twist on the idea of werewolves. There is an interesting cast of secondary characters, and my heart was twisting by the end of the book. I would definitely recommend it.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: Champion by Marie Lu

No comments:

Post a Comment