Friday, October 18, 2013

Grave Mercy

This week has been about standard. Which means busy. I have a midterm today. How crazy is that? I'm already almost halfway done with fall quarter. How the heck does time keep speeding up? Every time I think it's settled, suddenly it's January and not June anymore. But anywho, I actually sorta got ahead on work this week (gasp!) so I really spent some time reading. Normally this would mean reading two books in a week, but this time I read one book which was the size of two. At 550ish pages, Grave Mercy is a hefty book. I had to restrain a smile when my English teacher saw me reading and raised an impressed eyebrow.

9565548
Retrieved from Goodreads
Ismae was rescued from an arranged marriage and sent to the sisters of Mortain, women who are the handmaidens of death. Under their tutelage, Ismae learns the art of poison, vengeance, and seduction. Then her skills are put to the test when she has to pose as the mistress of Gavriel Duval, bastard brother of the Duchess of Brittany. She is supposed to root out his treachery against the Duchess and kill him if necessary. But Duval seems to loyal to his sister. The only trouble is, he seems to be the only one. Drawn into the world of political intrigue, Ismae must play a key role in whether Brittany is subsumed by the French, if the duchess is married off to a monster, and if she can protect her own heart.

I had heard a ton of amazing things about this book. And seriously, I'm up for any book with a kick ass female assassin (see reviews for Throne of Glass books). And I was not disappointed. Ismae is pretty awesome, and she has a great loyalty to her, which was really nice. I was seriously rooting for Duchess Anne not to get married off to the heathen D'Albret, and I liked the interactions between Ismae and Duval. However, it didn't knock my socks off. I didn't really connect with a lot of the secondary cast. I also wished LaFevers would give the French regent a name. He was so important to the story, but was never referred to by name. Neither was the Holy Roman Emperor. It just bothered me. I will absolutely read Dark Triumph, though. At no point in this story was I bored.

Goodreads Rating:4 stars
Up Next: The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment