Sunday, September 22, 2013

Summer 2013 Reading Project

I did it! This summer I set out to read 31 books, and by using my lunch breaks, days off, recovery time from my surgery, and any free moment, I did it. I have yet to go to the eye doctor to see if my eyes have worsened because of all this reading, and I don't really want to know.


Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ocwcaq4
This summers selection of books included the genres of romance, fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, contemporary, dystopian, and apocalyptic, with the scale leaning heavily on fantasy novels. If you've been a reader of this blog for a while, you'll know my love of fantasy. The book that really set me on the path to becoming a writer was Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce. I picked it up for a plane ride and never looked back.

Here were my favorites from the summer with their accompanying genres. These are the books I would put on my staff recommendations shelf at Barnes and Noble if I worked there. Or would recommend to anyone who asked me about books.:

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (fantasy), Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (sci-fi/dystopian), The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (fantasy), Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (fantasy), The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (fantasy), Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas (fantasy).

Looking at that list of favorites now, I really am realizing how much fantasy I read and love. For instance, today I am starting The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater, which is also a fantasy novel.

Anywho, you can find my reviews of these summer books by looking at my Review labels. They're fun to read, I swear.

Every year my reading slows down while I'm in school. These summer reading projects are a chance to keep up with all the amazing books coming out each year, as well as a way to immerse myself in stories which take me to other places. A castle where dragons pose as humans. A Roman camp of demigods. The Titanic. A broken world covered in ash.

If you can, pick up a book today. I swear it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment