Saturday, August 10, 2013

Storm Front


Yeah, I know it's been a long time since I posted a review. But I have an excuse! I went home for four days to celebrate my birthday! And, while this did mean spending quite a lot of time in the car, I didn't get a whole lot of reading done. Before I get to today's review of Storm Front by Jim Butcher, I have to brag a little bit about what I did on my birthday. I went skydiving with one of my best friends! If you ever want to do something completely nuts but totally awesome, I highly recommend it. Anywho, back to books. This week's pick was a detective fantasy novel.
Harry Dresden is a wizard living in Chicago, and working as a consultant for the police department on cases that can't be explained by normal human logic. And this one's a doozy. Two people, one a prostitute and another in the mob, have been killed by magic, which is against the Laws. Dresden comes to the case, determined to find the killer. He's also got another case, finding the missing husband of Monica Sells, who she says likes to dabble in magic. There's a deadline hanging over it all, because Morgan, Harry's wizard guardian, hates him and calls a Council meeting to get him killed.
There were several things I enjoyed about this book. Harry's old fashioned ideas, his banter with that spirit Bob in a skull, and the wittiness of the narrative. It was a nice, easy read. There were a couple things that bothered me, however. One: we know nothing of Harry's backstory until about 50 pages from the end, and then it's a small glimpse. Two: the wrap-up. In the last few pages of the story every loose end is tied up neatly so that every good guy gets what they want, and all the bad guys do not. Those were the big things that bothered me. There were some smaller ones as well, but they were nitpicky and really didn't affect my reading experience. Overall, I enjoyed this book and laughed out loud several times, but I don't think I'll be one of the people to follow Dresden through his tens of books.
6219313
Retrieved from Goodreads


Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Perchance to Dream by Lisa Mantchev

No comments:

Post a Comment