Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Son of Neptune

You'll never guess what I did yesterday. I sent off the last content edits of Balancing Act! That's right. After my editor (the awesome Emily Marquart) looks over my changes (including an entirely new scene, eek!) Balancing Act will go on to line edits. Isn't that crazy?! Okay, so that's what has had my attention this past week, so I got basically zero reading done. However, the internet at my house has been down for going on 2 days, and it's amazing how much reading you can get done when you aren't getting distracted by twitter. I know I said I was reading Tempest Unleashed, and I still am (just like I'm still reading Inkheart), but I decided to pick up The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan because I just haven't read enough of his books this summer.


9520360
Retrieved from Goodreads
Percy lost 8 months of his life, and now he's been inducted into Camp Jupiter, the Roman camp in California. He can't remember Camp Half-Blood, but he does remember the name Annabeth. Almost immediately he is elected to go on a quest with Frank, son of Mars, and Hazel, daughter of Pluto. But these demigods are not what they appear. Frank's godly heritage stretches back much further than Mars, and his entire life depends on something flammable. Hazel shouldn't be alive. The last time she lived, she did something terrible. But now is her chance to right her mistake, and maybe rid herself of her curse. These three demigods travel to the land beyond the gods (Alaska) to defeat the worst giant of them all. The only problem? All the monsters they kill have been coming back to life. And how do you kill something that can't die?

I love Rick Riordan. His grasp of mythology is really cool, and I love that he puts a new spin on it. For instance, Iris is a hippie. I loved Hazel and her curse, and how she was trying to make up for the bad thing she did back in the 1940s before she died. I also enjoyed learning about the Roman camp. However, I think my brain has always understood Greek mythology more, so the idea of cohorts and legions sorta confused me. But no matter. There is only one thing that bugs me about Riordan's books, and it's so insignificant that I keep reading them (because they're awesome). His way of delaying information being given to the reader is always the same. 1) the character isn't ready to speak about it, even if it's in their own narrative so the reader isn't clued in. 2) when the character is almost ready to talk about it, they get interrupted by a monster or another demigod. It's frustrating to me, because I like trying to guess what the big secrets are. That's not possible in Riordan's novels because the information is never thought of specifically in internal narrative. But seriously, I love the idea and world of the demigods so much that I can't get too peeved.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

No comments:

Post a Comment