Friday, August 30, 2013

Seraphina

I'm going to admit something awful here. I did not expect to like this book at all. I read the description and thought "snore." But every time I went into a bookstore it was a staff favorite! I just didn't get it. And it had an outstanding rating on Goodreads, and so many sparkling reviews. Finally I thought, okay, I'll try it. If I don't like it, it's no big deal. Well, I am very glad I tried it out, because Seraphina is a beautiful book. But I'm getting ahead of myself.


19549841
Retrieved from Goodreads
A peace treaty between humans and dragons has been in effect for almost 40 years. Right before the leader of the dragons folds himself into human form and comes to Goredd to celebrate the anniversary of the treaty, a prince of the royal family is discovered murdered in a very draconian fashion. There is still little trust between dragons and humans. Seraphina fears both sides. She is half dragon and hides her true heritage while she works as the assistant to the court composer. As Seraphina tries to unwrap the complexities and mystery surrounding the upcoming celebration and the prince's death, she tries to hide her secret from Prince Lucian Kiggs, her fellow investigator, and Princess Glisselda, her pupil and friend.

That description doesn't even come close to describing the intricacies of the plot. Dragons consider emotion to be weakness, and partition their minds so that they don't feel it. Seraphina is different, and partitions her mind so that she doesn't have seizures caused by memories her mother passed on to her. As someone who suffers from panic attacks, I understand the need to control emotions, while simultaneously struggling not to cease feeling them (because this causes more panic attacks because you repress emotion. horrible cycle). It was just so cool. I love dragons, I love court intrigue, and I love well developed characters. It would be so easy to hate Glisselda for being engaged to Kiggs, but you just can't. She can be naive, but she is so good to Seraphina, and would make a great queen. Seraphina is accustomed to thinking herself a monster, and lying is her second nature because it's what she's done all her life. But she wants to trust her friends, and it's hard to keep secrets when her own existence is tightly woven into the problems with keeping the peace. Words can't even describe how much I enjoyed this book. On a couple occasions the pace lagged, but I DON'T CARE. READ IT.

Ahem.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars
Next Up: So Silver Bright

No comments:

Post a Comment