Thursday, August 15, 2013

Perchance to Dream

It's my weekend! Yaaaaay!! Call up the troops, set up the pinata, and pour the root beer (as I am not yet 21). It was a long week, guys. I had a project to finish for work, plus my day job which is exhausting, plus feeling burned out from four days at home trying to do as much as possible with my friends. So yesterday, day 1 of my weekend, I did nothing. My body woke me up around 8:30 because it's stupid, and I read most of the day. What did I read? Well, the sequel to Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev--Perchance to Dream.


7179686
Retrieved from Goodreads
Beatrice Shakespeare Smith and Co. are taking their act on the road. Bertie, the four fairies, and the air elemental Ariel, have left the Theatre Illuminata and are on a quest to find Nate, the pirate who was stolen by the seawitch Sedna. Along the way Bertie encounters a beguiling sneak thief, and a bird who might just be her father. She also must hone her power as the Mistress of Revels, meaning whatever she writes comes to fruition, though perhaps not in the way she would have hoped. And her poor heart is stretched between Nate and Ariel.

I had a hard time getting into Eyes Like Stars way back when. It had an unusual writing style that took a lot of focus for me to appreciate. In all honesty, I bought it because the cover was so gorgeous. But in the end, I loved the book and resolved to read the rest of the series. Perchance to Dream is not a hefty book, at 333 pages. I read most of it in one day. It would have been one sitting, but my fugged up mind decided to take a two hour nap in the middle there. I like Bertie, who has always lived in a world where everything is a play, and now must deal with an unscripted life. And the fairies are very fun, particularly a scene where they reenact the hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, and then the last fairy covers his butt. I had two problems with this book. 1) I had no clue what a Scrimshander was. It was probably described in Eyes Like Stars, but it's been a year since I read that book and I've completely forgotten. It would have been nice to have a small description, for those of us who don't read the books one right after the other. 2) The magic is confusing and goes unexplained. The thing with her writing things and then they happen is pretty self explanatory. But then there's a whole slew of other things that happen in the last third of the book that, while enjoyable, I had no idea *why* they happened or worked within the world. But, I will still read So Silver Bright. Bertie is so enjoyable, and I want to see who she chooses between Nate and Ariel.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: Somebody to Love by Kristan Higgins and Ashfall by Mike Mullin

No comments:

Post a Comment