Sunday, August 18, 2013

Ashfall

Whoo boy am I tired. And it's only halfway through the weekend. It's been very busy at work, so last night I came home and collapsed into bed. I did pretty much nothing all evening. However, before I started my "nothing," I finished the last 60 pages of Ashfall by Mike Mullin. Then made sure to think happy thoughts for the rest of the evening.


9644151
Retrieved from Goodreads
Alex was looking forward to spending a weekend alone while his family went to Warren, Illinois. That's when Yellowstone erupted, throwing the world into chaos. Now Alex wants to find his family, but the only way to get there is on foot. Animals are dying, food is scarce, and people are going crazy. In his trek to find his family, Alex meets Darla, a mechanic around his own age who is way more useful when it comes to finding ways to get food, water, and making the physical labor easier. He also meets some crazies.

Last quarter I took a class called Living with Volcanoes. We spent a full day talking about Yellowstone, and how the interval between eruptions would imply that we're due for one. But volcanoes aren't on a timer. It could be that Yellowstone will erupt tomorrow. Could be that it will never erupt again. I was pretty excited to read this book because of that class. An eruption from that volcano would ruin a lot of things, and that's a wild understatement. But on to the book. I liked the first fifty pages of Ashfall because the action was constant. Alex's house collapses, he finds refuge with neighbors, the volcano is erupting for several days, the craziness starts in the people. But after Alex heads out for Warren....the action tapers off until he meets Darla around 175 pages in. Darla certainly makes the book more interesting, but there were still stretches where I felt like it was just a guide on how to create grindstones, skin a rabbit, create skiis with twine and sticks etc. The writing was a bit mechanical in these places. I wanted more about the actual volcano erupting. Afterward, it's just referred to as the eruption. Maybe it's because of my class, but I wanted to know more about what happened at the summit. Anywho, it's still a good book, but it's no Insignia, making me jump up and down with happiness.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment