Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I Love My Job

No review in the offing. My brain's sort of sizzling under the drain of the summer. It's finally my weekend, so I can rest from this crazy week. In some ways, my day job went very quickly, in other ways it dragged on. One of these other ways was because something's wrong with a muscle at that base of my neck/where my shoulder starts, and it feels like someone's putting a cigarette out in it.

But I'm not here to talk about my day job.

I'm a sales clerk by day, and an editor by night. I don my sweatshirt of comfiness and take up the pen of truth to slash through incorrect punctuation and grammar.

I am a line editor. A copy editor. I see books when they are very near completion. And I love my job. I spent a couple hours this week reading through my old blog posts about trying to get published, and overcoming writer's block. There was a lot of naivety in those posts. I can honestly say I've changed drastically in the two years I've been running this blog. I've gotten into college, finished my sophomore year at said college, gotten an editorial internship, gotten a book deal, gotten a job in publishing.

It wasn't until college, and around my second book, that I realized I wanted to work in publishing. I really should have figured it out sooner. I spend my free time reading publishing news, adding to and organizing my Books to Get list. I follow editors, agents, and authors almost exclusively on twitter. I want to be in the world of making books. Helping them grow into amazing experiences for other people. Because reading has been a good chunk of my life. I wouldn't go so far as to say it saved my life, but it really made it. And I know there are those out there who are saved by reading. And how incredible is that? Something someone else wrote, not knowing who would read it, can effect someone else's life. Even if it's just by making them smile.

Books are words and pictures and memories. Love, pain, friendship, family, villains, superpowers, evil governments, beautiful worlds. They are everything. Hopes and dreams in print form.

Is it any wonder I love my job?

No comments:

Post a Comment