Thursday, July 25, 2013

Something In the Air

I don't know what it is about the coastal air, but I always do my best brainstorming out here. Last year I finished writing Balancing Act while the sun shone down , and the next day I came up with the idea for Origins. There have been half a dozen or so failed stories as well. During the school year I think I had one book idea the entire time. It might be because my brain is focused on academics, but it just wasn't conducive to my plotting books.

Well, last night before going to bed I was struck with a prologue. Just a few short sentences that I quickly typed up and then vowed to think about more in the morning.

"There were many things I never expected to happen on my wedding day. For instance, I never expected blood to cake my mouth, and my lip to be split, so even smiling would send a fresh dribble down my chin. I never expected my bouquet to be daisies. They're such smelly flowers. I never expected my dress to be lavender and covered in scorch marks.

But most of all, I never expected to love my husband-to-be."

Of course, my brain interpreted "morning" to mean "startle her awake at 6 in the morning on her last day off work before the busiest weekend of the year and make her have so many ideas she can't possibly fall asleep."

Long story short, I spent an hour this morning typing up part of the first scene of Poison Ivy, a dark fantasy novel about two feuding families trying to come to a truce by joining the eldest and second eldest children in marriage. Ivy is the second eldest of the Blackwood family, with the ability to make things grow. She is engaged to Carr, the second eldest of the Agresta family. Her elder sister is engaged to Darcy. Ivy hates them all, but as secrets come into the open and family wounds are opened, she must rely on, and even trust, the Agresta brothers with her most precious secret of all.

2 comments:

  1. I love the sounds of this! What a great opening, and what a great premise - Romeo-and-Juliet-ish, but sort of the what-could-have-been. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Seabrooke :) I'm hoping to have time to work on it next week. As I mentioned above, this weekend is the busiest of the year at work. I plan to conk out every day when I get home.

    ReplyDelete