Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Shifter

So I finally got to go back to work! My cold sores are completely gone and I'm fresh as can be. I got to work half of the busiest weekend of the year, and now I'm on my days off. As usual, I have a lot of work to do. I have line edits on a book due at work in two weeks, and the second round of edits for Balancing Act due in a week. I'd also like to take time to go see Wolverine because...well...Hugh Jackman. And...ya know...yum. I also want to go horseback riding because I'm feeling all soft and squishy from a week spent in bed. But before all that, I decided to finish off The Shifter by Janice Hardy.


6316125
Retrieved from Goodreads
Nya is a Gevegian on an island occupied by the Baseeri. She's also a shifter, an unheard of ability where she can heal people, take the pain, and shift it into other people. Most Healers can only shift pain into pynvium, and there's a shortage. Nya has to stay out of the notice of the Healers because otherwise she could become a weapon, shifting to people for the profit of others. But when her sister Tali is kidnapped, Nya has to come to terms with using her power, and what she's willing to to do get her sister back.

I bought this book last summer when I went to Powell's. I read a few chapters before getting distracted, and it was sitting on my TBR shelf for a while. Yes, I actually have a TBR shelf. It includes all the books I have yet to read, as well as series I have started but have not finished because the rest hasn't been released yet. Anyways. I got distracted and read a ton of other books. But I still wanted to come back to this one. And here are my thoughts. Cool premise, simple plot. There were times when I sped through 40 pages barely blinking, and times where I stopped and went on pinterest because things were slow or just weren't catching my attention. Of course, that might have been partly because I was exhausted and hungry. The last 50 pages flew by. I'll be reading the sequel for sure.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: Storm Front by Jim Butcher

1 comment:

  1. This one has been on my list to read for forever. I think it's about time to bump it to the top. :)

    ReplyDelete