Monday, July 1, 2013

Shadow and Bone

When I first heard about this amazing book called Shadow and Bone, I was a little skeptical. Okay, a lot skeptical. It didn't sound like my kind of book. But every time I went through the staff recommendations at bookstores, it kept popping up. It also has a high rating on Goodreads. So I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a go. It started off a little slow because I've got two jobs and I like to sleep on occasion. Might as well be honest, I love to sleep. And it's been getting harder to do between my day job, my job as an editor at Entranced, keeping up my presence online, editing Balancing Act, writing Origins, and doing my Summer Reading Project. But it quickly picked up.


10194157
Retrieved from Goodreads
Alina was orphaned as a child with only one good, constant thing in her life: Mal. They grew up together, joined the army together, and traveled together. And Mal never knew that Alina had feelings for him. But all of that must take the back seat for Alina when it comes time to cross the Shadow Fold, a stretch of darkness filled with terrifying creatures bent on killing everyone. During an attack as she and Mal cross the Fold, Alina exhibits the powers of a Grisha, a sort of magician/scientist. But she's unique, and has a power no one else does. She's a Sun Summoner, and her powers could be the only thing that can turn back the Fold. Suddenly Alina is taken from Mal and tossed into a world of opulence and intrigue at the palace of Ravka. The Darkling, the head of he Grisha, thinks she can change the world. Alina's not so sure.

Where to start with this book. The writing is so fluid, I barely even noticed I was reading I was going along so fast. I honestly can't remember if there was any point where I stumbled or thought "oh, that's a bit awkward." Alina is flawed and honest with herself about her flaws. She knows she's acting like a schoolgirl by hanging on to thoughts of Mal when he's never expressed any interest in her. And she realizes her own significance and yet powerlessness when it comes to the Darkling. He could kill her if he wanted, very easily. Oh this book. On the cover of my copy there's a quote by Veronica Roth (whose books I adore) that says "Unlike anything I've ever read." And it's true. The idea of the Shadow Fold is unique to me, and so are many of the magical aspects. I would definitely recommend it.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars
Up Next: Evernight by Claudia Gray

2 comments:

  1. The thing I liked best about it was it was a fantasy based off Russia, instead of medieval Europe. :) I did quite enjoy it, but I found the Darkling's character change not quite believable. There was too much truth to his early subconscious gestures/expressions when talking with Alina for me to believe it'd all been a masquerade. (I actually kept half-expecting right till the end that he was going to change back and his mother be revealed as the player.) But otherwise, good book, and looking forward to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also heard good things about this one, but haven't read it yet. Thanks for this review - I might have to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete