Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Raven Boys

Still sick. Whoop-de-doo. Today is day four of being stuck in bed trying to get over these cold sores. I don't mind, not really. I know it's necessary, and putting my body through physical stress will just keep me down longer. And it has been nice, having time to read and work on book stuff. I spent a good portion of yesterday reading The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. I've loved her since The Scorpio Races, for her exceedingly unique worlds and characters you fall in love with because their reactions make sense because of who they are, not because the writer tells us how they feel. The Raven Boys is no different.

17675462
Retrieved from Goodreads
"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on Saint Mark's Eve," Neeve said. "Either you're his true love... or you killed him." This line sets the tone for The Raven Boys. Blue is the daughter of a psychic, and she's been told if she kisses her true love he will die. And she hates the raven boys of Aglionby school. They are rich and stuck up and entitled. But nonetheless she is drawn into their search for Glendower, the ancient Welsh king who's said to have been buried along a ley line in Virginia. With Adam, the scholarship boy, Ronan, who doesn't care if he lives or dies, Noah, the smudgy one, and Gansey, the young man in an old man's life, Blue sets out to discover where Glendower is. Along the way they encounter death, time, and many stranger things in between.

I love Maggie Stiefvater. Her worlds are so cool, and she writes about things I would never even be able to dream up if I tried. The link between energy and a Welsh king said to be sleeping thousands of years? So cool. And Blue being an amplifier to energies around her? Even cooler. God, there is not one thing about this book I would change, which has got to be one of the first times I've ever thought that. The characters are deep and intriguing, with quirks that are unique and yet somehow fit perfectly. The secondary characters of Blue's aunts are just as cool. And the cover? Gorgeous. I normally don't care too much about covers, but this one is beautiful in ways I can't even imagine. I can not wait until The Dream Thieves comes out. In fact... I think I'll go pre-order it now.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars
Up Next: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

1 comment:

  1. I loooooved this, too. Can't wait for Dream Thieves. Only thing that left me confused was the climax... wasn't really sure exactly what happened despite reading through it a few times.

    Hope your cold sores don't hang around too long! Though it's a nice excuse to get lots of reading and stuff done. ;)

    ReplyDelete