Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Lost Hero

My edits of Balancing Act are turned in! It's been a crazy week. First with the edits, then getting assigned my next project at work (spoiler: it's pretty cool). Then add to that my day job which has been hectic, and that my family and a friend came down and visited on my days off so I was going going going until around midnight for two days, I am exhausted. This is all to explain why it's been over ten days since I finished a book. I'm going to keep slowly working through Inkheart, but I'm also reading other books as well. This week's pick was The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.


7736182
Retrieved from Goodreads
Jason woke up on the bus with no memory of who is he is or how he got there. But apparently he's best friends with the mechanical genius Leo and has a beautiful, persuasive girlfriend named Piper. And suddenly they're being attacked by storm spirits and defended by Coach Hedge who suddenly has goat legs. Now the three are in a place called Camp Half-Blood, and discovering they're all demigods. But Jason can't help feeling like he doesn't belong here. Set on a quest to free the queen of the gods, Hera, Jason tries to unwrap his memories, which have been taken from him for a reason. He just wishes he knew what it was.

It's no mystery that I love Riordan's books. I read them a bit backward, going through the Kane Chronicles before Percy Jackson and the Olympians. So it's no surprise that I enjoyed this first installment which deals with the Roman and Greek aspects of the Olympians. I also loved delving into the idea of charmspeak, a power of the children of Aphrodite. I felt pretty ambivalent toward Jason. He was a very take charge, loyal kind of guy. Really, I liked Leo the most. His relationship with his mom, how screwed up his life has been because of Hera, and his secret ability as a child of Hephaestus. All pretty awesome. And he had a great voice. Can't wait to read The Son of Neptune!

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: Vanish by Sophie Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment