Friday, July 5, 2013

Insignia

Normally I would try to stretch a 400+ page book over more than two days for the sake of my eyes. Considering how fast I've been going through this summer's reading project, my eyes are bound to get exhausted, and fast. But...I was hooked by Insignia by page one. I read over 200 pages on Wednesday, then finished it off the next day. I can't wait to read Vortex. But I'm getting ahead of myself.


11115434
Retrieved from Goodreads
Earth is in the middle of World War III, but so far there have been no casualties that the people know about. All battles are fought in space, and are directed by people on Earth. Different companies have pretty much taken over, and the governments are really just puppets. There's one secret that's being kept from the people. The teenagers in charge of the battles have had neural processors implanted in their brains so they can interface with machines. They are part computer. It effects their intelligence, their personalities, their looks, makes them stronger, more powerful. And Thomas Raines has just joined their ranks. He's been thrown into the Intrasolar Forces with a new neural processor. For the first time in his life, he's important, he has friends, maybe even a girlfriend. But it could all collapse.

I can't even begin to describe how much I loved this book. It had an exquisitely thought out world with countries in coalitions and how big business has taken over the world before this new war. It's dystopic, as well as science fiction. It's amusing that I'd chosen to read this book next, because that night I had a dream about virtual reality and hooking into computers. Well, this went beyond my wildest dreams. Tom is rash and arrogant and makes the wrong choices sometimes. But he is always loyal to his new friends. He fights logically and there's this Applied Simulations thing where you can play out old battles like Troy, or be put into the mind of a wolf to take down a moose. So. Cool. And there was stuff about programming that I actually understood because I have programmer friends. My one teeny tiny problem with this book was the character of Heather. And it's a completely biased opinion. I just want to read one book where a Heather isn't a bitch or a ditz or part of a clique. We're not all bad you know... But other than that, absolutely adored this book.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars
Next Up: The Thing About Truth by Lauren Barnholdt

No comments:

Post a Comment