Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Evernight

I read Claudia Gray's Spellcaster a little while ago because I'd seen her at a book talk and decided to give it a shot. I ended up loving it. So I decided to try out Gray's first series - the Evernight Series. It's paranormal romance, which I've sort of started to avoid. It's not that I've read a lot of it since the market is flooded, but because I'm not especially drawn to paranormal stories. They have to be damn good to draw my attention. But I liked Spellcaster, so I thought, why not?


2722413
Retrieved from Goodreads
Bianca has been uprooted from her small town life and taken by her parents to Evernight boarding school. Her parents are both new teachers there, and Bianca wants to support them. But she hates Evernight. It's creepy and she wants nothing more than to get away. In the process of running away, she runs into Lucas Ross, a fellow student. Suddenly, things at Evernight seem a little brighter. Things around school are still strange, and if the biggest secret of them all gets out, it could ruin everything for the school, for Bianca's parents, and for Bianca.

Hm. I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. I think the big twist in the middle (spoiler alert) where it turns out Bianca is a vampire, has known she's a vampire, and almost everyone at Evernight are vampires, was pretty cool. I didn't see that coming. I expected the rest of the school to be vampires and Bianca a helpless human. But at the same time...I can't believe Bianca didn't think about her situation for half a book. There were definitely things I liked, and I'm glad this is a longer series because I think it would be good to see Lucas's and Bianca's relationship deepen and become more complex. That being said, I liked Spellcaster more. I can't wait for Steadfast to come out.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars
Up next: Tempest Unleashed

No comments:

Post a Comment