Saturday, July 27, 2013

Article 5

It's been gorgeous down here the past week or so while I've been trapped inside. But I'm sort of sick of hearing myself carp about it, so I'll leave it at that. I've gotten a lot of reading done, and I've even had a chance to work on Origins, and now my new SNI Poison Ivy. I'm still hoping to have one of these books completed by the end of the summer. I think I can do it. It might mean giving myself time to write instead of diving into a new book every other day. Speaking of which, I polished off Article 5 by Kristen Simmons last night.


10677277
Retrieved from Goodreads
Ember Miller has been declared a criminal under Article 5 of the Moral Statutes now ruling the United States. She was born out of wedlock and now must be sent to rehab to get better. But Ember only has a mind for escaping and finding her mom, who will be tried as a violator of Article 5. And violators never come back. Helping her escape is a reluctant soldier named Sean who she blackmailed. There's also Chase Jennings, her childhood love who's now a soldier enforcing the Moral Statutes. As he tries to get her to a safe house they reconnect, and sparks fly.

This book came out during the boom of dystopian. And the action never stops, which is good. But I had one big problem with this book. Nowhere is it explained why the world is dystopic. There's mention of a war and large cities being abandoned, but no explanation of why there was a war and how the US is situated in the world now. There's no explanation for how the Moral Statutes replaced the Bill of Rights. Has the government been overthrown and this is in place, or did it evolve from within? I don't know. Maybe it explains it in Breaking Point. As for the big twist, I guessed it long before we got there. Normally I don't care if that happens. When you read so many books, you tend to get a sense of where things are going. But in this case, I was just sort of ready for Ember to figure it out. I'll read Breaking point because Article 5 had some good action sequences.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars
Up Next: Waking Storms

No comments:

Post a Comment