Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Transparent

So last night I sat in my room, reveling in the fact that I got to sleep in the next morning. It's the end of my first week of work for the summer, and I am tuckered out. So as I lay sideways on my bed, idling chatting with friends, I finished off Transparent by Natalie Whipple. I've been following Natalie's blog for over a year now, and have always loved her honesty about her life and writing. She doesn't try to be the quintessential writer. She expresses her doubts, lets you in to her life and shows you how she thinks. As with Kiersten White, I'm glad I read her blog before her books. It gave me an insight into Natalie's voice.


11973377
Retrieved from Goodreads
Fiona is a syndicate baby, born into a life of crime with her dad as head evil-doer. She lives in a world where most people have genetic mutations, from flying, to scent emission, to super strength. Fiona is different. She is the only person in the world who is invisible. And her father's been using her for crime. One night, Fiona and her mother run away to Madison, Arizona, where they hope to start a new life outside the grasp of the syndicates. But her father isn't going to give up that easy. Fiona makes friends with Bea, Seth, and Brady. Their two gifted families come together to help her escape the man she's hated but been forced to love her entire life.

I want to say upfront that I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read, and there was a lot of action. I was totally shipping Seth and Fiona from the beginning. I liked Brady well enough, but he seemed too hung up on the fact that she was invisible. I know, I know, it would be really hard to get past something like that. But still, she's more than her power. Still, I do sorta wish this weren't a standalone. Not because I think all books should be part of series (I can't count the number of trilogies I wish were duologies because the middle book was POINTLESS) but I wanted more of Fiona's development and interactions with the two families (what I really found interesting).

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

2 comments:

  1. I had to open this page and leave it to come back to, 'cause I was right in the middle of reading when you posted it. :) Now that I'm done, I came back to finish reading your review. :) I agree with a lot of your comments. I also felt that for all this great worldbuilding she did, it was a little underused in the story - I think you could've taken out the superpowers stuff, so she's just a particularly talented con artist/thief on the run from her mob father, and the story wouldn't have been a whole lot different (other than the thread about how her and Seth's relationship develops, I guess). As an example, there were a couple of times where I wanted to say "What are you doing?? Just take off your clothes and hide!" And then there was a lot of stuff around the high school and her developing friendships for a story about a girl on the run from the mob. I guess it just felt a little like it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a contemporary or a thriller or a sci-fi. But I still quite enjoyed it as a light read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, now that you mention it, you're right. While I love superhero stuff, it wasn't really necessary. But, at the same time, I liked the bit about her and Seth's relationship. And I agree, she could just take off her clothes and be gone. I still want to read House of Ivy and Sorrow though :)

    ReplyDelete