Thursday, June 27, 2013

Of Poseidon

Well, one day soon I will be posting about what's going on in my life as an author, but today is not that day. Today I want to tell ya'll about the book I just finished. I'd been waiting for it to come out in paperback, so I'm a little late to be with the first rounds of reviews on it. But oh well. I wasn't positive I was going to like this book, but wanted to give it a go because ya'll know how much I love any story that has to do with the ocean. So here's the scoop.


12425532
Retrieved from Goodreads
After Emma has a close encounter (and by that I mean falling face first into him)  with a hunky dude with a trident tattoo, she feels instant sparks. Actually, it's more like lava. Galen is the prince of Syrena (mermaids) searching for the girl with the gift of Poseidon, the ability to communicate with fish. And he thinks he's found it in Emma, but that doesn't make any sense. She has blonde hair instead of black, and no matter how hard she tries, she can't form her fin. But she's definitely got the gift, and Galen should be taking her off to his brother Grom so they can mate, as is tradition. But there's one little catch. Galen is falling in love with her.

What I really liked about this book: the obvious fish out of water attitude of Galen and his friends Toraf and Rayna. They've got no clue how to talk to regular humans or interact in their lives. It's quite funny how formal they are. The kissing. Awwww I wanted Emma and Galen to get together, especially since it had that forbidden sizzle. Emma. Talk about a girl with spunk. [Spoiler] She throws a girl through hurricane proof glass. That takes some serious spunk.

Things that were iffy for me: Galen's possessiveness. Okay, I get that you don't want the girl you love to be going on a date with someone else, even though you've just admitted that she has no choice but to mate with your brother. But to threaten the guy? I dunno. I have a thing about possessiveness that stretches beyond feminism. It made me not like Galen as much, even though I was liking him pretty well. What else? Oh, um, women have no choice in who they mate with. The guys always choose. And while this insults me on a human rights, women's rights level, I appreciated it as world building. Societal thing. I could see that being part of a dystopian novel. But I still want Emma to go kick some butt in Of Triton and end that stupid practice.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins

No comments:

Post a Comment