Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Best Man

So I'm about to kick off this year's Summer Reading Project (for more details, see above tab). This summer will be, if possible, more hectic than the last one. Not because I've drastically hiked the number of books I want to read, but because I've added my job at Entranced Publishing to the mix, and I want Origins finished by the new year, which means lots of writing this summer. First off, since I wanted something light and fun to celebrate the end of my second year of college, I read The Best Man by Kristan Higgins.


15803757
Retrieved from Goodreads
Three years ago Faith Holland was left at the altar by the man of her dreams. He was everything any woman would ever want - sweet, kind, intelligent, and totally hunky. But he was also gay. After some much needed R&R in San Francisco, Faith returns to her hometown among the vineyards of upstate New York to put her knowledge as a landscape architect to work on her family's estate. There she has to confront her ex-fiance, Jeremy, and, unfortunately, be civil to Levi Cooper, the one who ruined her wedding. But Levi looks so damn good, and is definitely straight. Maybe love is in the air, if they can stop arguing.

I am a huge fan of Higgins' novels. I picked up the first on in a grocery store in Palm Desert many years ago, and laughed my way through Joshua Tree National Park. Since then I've read four of her other books, and have now added The Best Man to the list. Like the rest of her books, this one has a hilarious cast of secondary characters and some steamy smooches. Faith is not a Mary Sue, and the conflicts surrounding her relationship with Levi evolve throughout the novel, which I deeply appreciated. I heartily enjoyed reading it, and even teared up once. That being said, it didn't replace Fools Rush In or Too Good To Be True as my favorite.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Up Next: The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

No comments:

Post a Comment