Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Spellcaster

I know I've probably been saying this a lot lately, but, seriously, where did the school year go? I don't feel like it's time to start stripping the posters from my walls and putting everything in boxes. Do I really have a final paper due next week, and an early final as well? I guess so, because that's what my calendar is telling me. It just doesn't feel real. I've been doing a lot of reading lately, as you've probably noticed. Spellcaster by Claudia Gray is the second to last book from the batch I ordered about a month ago. I'm going to need to order more books for the summer soon...


12700790
Retrieved from Goodreads
Nadia Caldini has just moved with her broken family to the coastal town of Captive's Sound. She knows immediately that there is dark magic at work here, and she can tell because she's a witch. Her mother abandoned her family right at the height of her training, and now Nadia is floundering. A new town, a new life, and no one to teach her the Craft. Then there's Mateo, the only son in a cursed family. Lore has it that once every generation, one of his family starts seeing visions of the future, and this leads to madness. And he's just had a dream about Nadia that's come true. Together with a new funky friend Verlaine, Nadia and Mateo are working to unwrap the dark mysteries around Captive's Sound before it's too late.

Loved this book. I haven't read anything else by Gray, but I hear good things about her other series. Here's what I loved about Spellcaster: Well fleshed out rules as to what witchcraft can and can not do, with enough limitations to seem realistic. A new enough spin that I was interested to see the changes in witchcraft. Verlaine. She is so fun and desperate for friends, and yet strong at the same time. The spells. They are linked to strong emotions, so you get to see fleshed out characters through small memories that flavor spells.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Next up: Perchance to Dream by Lisa Mantchev

No comments:

Post a Comment