Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Crown of Embers

In the throws of holding off a cold, I've been reading The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson. This is the sequel to The Girl of Fire and Thorns, which I read over the summer. It's been rainy here in the Pacific Northwest, and for some reason it feels like it should be later in the week than Tuesday. Not because a lot has happened, but because not much has. But anyways, today I finished off this novel.


10816908
Retrieved from Goodreads
Elisa is a hero. And a widow. The battle with the Inviernos is over, their animagus magicians defeated. Or so everyone thinks, until one burns himself alive during Elisa's birthday parade. Multiple assassin attempts, and an ominous prophecy about the enemy's gate are keeping Her Majesty's reign interesting. And now her counselors are pushing for her to take a husband, but all Elisa wants is to figure out how to be a strong queen, unlike her deceased husband. In her struggles are Hector, the captain of the Royal Guard, Mara, and Ximena, both ladies in waiting.

I enjoyed this book. Not quite as much as The Girl of Fire and Thorns, but I did. I love the fact that religion and magic were interwoven. Elisa is not a perfect queen, and I definitely didn't agree with all of her decisions. But it was these flaws that made me like her. Hector is such a sweet guy, and Mara really came out of her shell in this book to be a blunt confidant. I'd like to think I see a bit of her in myself. I'm excited to see the conclusion of this series. 

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Next up: The Elite by Kiera Cass.

No comments:

Post a Comment