Thursday, May 16, 2013

Code Name Verity

This week has been crazy. I got slammed, what with my full class schedule (midterm), my internship (research), and my job (editing). It was such that I didn't get to finish this amazing book (Code Name Verity) for over a week! I wish I'd had more time, but honestly I know I can't hole myself up in my room and brick it  up with books, however much I'd like to. But I digress. I just finished reading Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein.


16250900
Retrieved from Goodreads
In 1943, a wireless operator was dropped into Ormaie, France, on a mission. The plane crashed, and the pilot proved dead by pictures. The operator was taken by the Gestapo and tortured until she promised to cough everything she knew about the British Allied forces in WWII. And she agrees. She tells the story of Maddie, a pilot who became her best friend, and who was by her side as she became part of the war effort. But there's only so much story to tell, and she only has two weeks before the Nazis shoot her. She's an enemy agent after all, and she can buy only so much time.

"It's like being in love, discovering your best friend." This one line sets the tone for this introspective, mind game of a novel. Verity tells the story of her friendship with Maddie to the Gestapo, and I absolutely loved it. There was no love V, no angst. It was simple survival, and that loving friendship every person should experience at least once in their life. I was always looking for clues in Verity's narrative, because I knew she would lie. She had to. And I didn't want her to die. I loved this book so much, I was picking it up to squeeze in a page or two before classes started. That being said, it's a dense book. There's a lot of information, and my eyes got tired. Nothing new there, of course. Would absolutely recommend to anyone with a love for learning about WWII.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars
Next up: The Crown of Embers

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this book. :) I actually didn't go in with the assumption she'd lie, so when I got to Maddie's part in the second half and discovered THE TWIST that set the whole first half in an entirely new light, I thought it was amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete