Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sapphique

In keeping with the theme of this month's reading escapades, today I finished off Sapphique, the dystopian sci-fi sequel to Incarceron. I read Incarceron over a weekend in freezing cold weather in which both days were spent competing on my school's equestrian team. I liked it, if I recall, if lacking in character development. Sapphique was much the same.


4499214
Retrieved from Goodreads
Finn has escaped to the Realm of Protocol, but it's nothing like the paradise he imagined. And when a pretender to the throne claims he is the true prince, both his and Claudia's lives are put at risk if he can't prove himself to be Giles. Meanwhile in the Prison, Incarceron is building itself a body to Escape. Attia and Keiro, after stealing the legendary Sapphique's glove, are ordered to bring it to the body of Incarceron, but they don't want to. Because if Incarceron can Escape itself, all the Prisoners will die.

For the most part I enjoyed this book. As with the first in the duology, the world building was what made me love it. Victorian era maintained with technology and a sentient prison? Um, yes please. But the characters. Sigh. They were so underdeveloped, I didn't feel like I knew them at all, or at least any more than in Incarceron. And the last 100 pages I had no idea what was going on. How can a prison escape itself? How is the prison sucking energy from the Realm? Why is the glove so powerful? I really wish I knew, because I would have liked this book more if it just told me. Next up, going to work through City of Lost Souls.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment