Sunday, April 7, 2013

Crossed

I read Matched by Allie Condie on Christmas over two years ago. I thought it was a good book, and it was right at the start of when I was getting back into serious reading. But I wasn't so enthralled (like with Cinder and Daughter of Smoke and Bone) that I felt the need to rush out at get Crossed when it came out. I waited for it to come out in paperback. And waited. And waited. Seriously, it just recently came out in paperback. What's up with that? But anyways, I read it over the weekend.
15812814
Retrieved from Goodreads
Cassia has been sent out on work assignment, and is about to be sent to work as a decoy in the outer provinces of Society to draw Enemy fire with her acquaintance Indie. She is told they will be out for six months, then return home. But no one has ever lasted six months as a decoy. Not even Ky. He's out in the outer provinces with Vick, and they are the longest survivors at a couple months. Finally, they escape out to the Carving, which is like a Grand Canyon, bringing with them Eli, another young decoy. Stuff happens, Ky and Cassia find each other, and they try to decide whether to join the Rising, a rebellion against Society.

This is a good book. Pretty slow though. For me the most interesting things happened while Cassia was trying to find Ky in the Carving. There's dying, a mysterious number of dead people, and an abandoned settlement in the canyons. Then it's like everything stops. They hang around the township, reading and saying very little to each other. They meet a guy named Hunter who doesn't like Society but doesn't want to join the Rising. Ky and Cassia sorta argue about going to the rebellion. There are a couple of small revelations. There are a lot of metaphors. I'll read Reached, but I'm more excited about Cress coming out next year.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment