Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Interview with ELSKER's ST Bende

Today I have the honor of interviewing ST Bende, whose NA Paranormal Romance was released on April 22 through Entranced Publishing, Blush imprint.


ELSKER, Book One in THE ELSKER SAGA, follows twenty-tear-old Kristia Tostenson as she leaves her small town to find adventure at Cardiff University in Wales. Kristia gets a lot more than she bargained for when she falls in love with Ull Myhr. He's not just a graduate student-- he's an Asgardian Assassin  and the Norse God of Winter. Kristia's orderly life is about to get seriously complicated.

Now for some fun!

If you could tell anyone in the world five things about yourself that really define "you," what would they be?

(1) Cats is my favorite musical. This seems kind of silly, but there's actually some sentiment behind my choice. It's the first play I ever saw in the West End, and the only one I went on to see 30+ times. (I hear how ridiculous that sounds as I write it, but I'd see it again tomorrow if it were still in production.) It's a near verbatim production of TS Eliot's poems to his godchildren, which he wrote under the pen name Old Possum. (How sweet is that?) And it's got a character that appears t be based on either Elvis or McJagger. Now that's just awesome.

(2) My favorite play is Much Ado About Nothing, though whether this is because of Shakespeare's snarky banter or Kenneth Branagh's amazing interpretation of Benedick, I'll never know. It's also my favorite movie. (See Kenneth Branagh above.)

(3) I could read the Harry Potter books over and over and never get sick of them.

(4) My heritage is Scandinavian and I love learning about the Nordic countries. The mythology fascinates me, and the waffles keep me coming back for more.

(5) I've been trying to learn Norwegian for the better part of a decade. I'm terrible at languages. But I'm fluent in Pig Latin.

What was your inspiration for Elsker?

I stopped at a drive through coffee shop on a road trip along the Oregon coast. Itty-bitty Nahalem had 300 people, one stoplight, and some of the prettiest scenery I've ever seen. When the college aged barista handed over my beverage, my imagination started turning. What would it be like for someone from such a small place to encounter something so much bigger than all of us? I snapped a picture of the coffee hut, and I'm so happy I did. That was the moment ELSKER was born.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of this book?

I have to confess that I wrote ELSKER by accident. It was a story I wrote just for me, in my journal, and I never intended for anyone else to read it. Ever. One day I realized it had reached a pretty substantial page count. and by then I was so in love with Kristia and Ull that I wanted other people to meet them too. I split the story half and it became ELSKER and its sequel, ENDRE. I probably wrote most of ELSKER in three months or so. At the time it was just a journal entry that I couldn't walk away from. Ull had me hooked. ;)

What is your writing/editing process? Pantser? Outliner?

Since I never meant for anyone to read this story, I just wrote what I wanted to write, when I wanted to write it. Then I connected the dots later. Major pantser.

What are your favorite YA/NA books overall? Recently?

The Harry Potter series is my absolute hands down favorite series ever. But specifically in YA, Jacqueline Gardner is a fabulous indie author with some amazing YA books - her Thoughtless series is fantastic. And since I'm a sucker for a happy story. I have to confess that I love the Princess Diaries books. Mia Thermopolis is just awesome.

Favorite type of ice cream?

Anything chocolate is always good, and I'm a fan of all coffee flavored ice creams. All of them.

THE ELSKER SAGA is available from Entranced Publishing. 

TUR, the prequel, can be downloaded for free HERE.

ELSKER, Book 1, is available from Entranced, Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Find ST Bende on Twitter (@stbende), Goodreads, or her website.

And be sure to stop by http://stbende.blogspot.com/p/elsker-tour.html between April 11th and May 20th to enter to win fabulous prizes in Waffle Fest -- the ELSKER Release Month of Giveaways! 


Thanks for stopping by!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me visit today Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my pleasure! And I completely agree - love Kenneth Branagh's interpretation of Bennedick. One of my favorite movies. "Would my horse had the speed of your tongue."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that line. And "the world must be peopled" cracks me up every time.

    ReplyDelete