Monday, February 25, 2013

Dystopian Overload

This weekend I really didn't want to work. I guess that hint of freedom from San Francisco was enough to get me ready for the end of the quarter. Spring Break can't come fast enough. So I picked up For Darkness Shows the Stars, a dystopian retelling of Persuasion. I had to put it down. Then I picked up Partials. I made it about a third of the way through before I put that one down as well.

It's not that these are bad books. In fact, I know they're good. I think I've just been reading too much Dystopian lately. It's making me cynical and overanalytical. I think what I need is a good dose of YA high fantasy. Something a la Throne of Glass or The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

Suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I've hit the wall with dystopian, too. Which is a shame, because there're a number of highly-rated titles I never got around to.

    Have you read Shadow And Bone? Or Seraphina? Days Of Blood And Starlight? Finnikin Of The Rock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for the price to come down on DBS and Shadow and Bone! They're both 18-20 bucks, and that's too rich for my blood, despite my love of Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I might give Seraphina a look :) Thanks, Saybe

    ReplyDelete