Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

Last week I was tagged by my critique partner Seabrooke for the Next Big Thing Blog Hop. The idea is to answer some questions about my latest WIP. You can find Seabrooke's answers here on her blog! She's awesome, so you should check it out.

My answers are part of Week 33 of the Hop.

  1. What is the working title of your book?
    Origins
  2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
    It's really cliche, but the idea came from a dream where I was on the beach and was able to move things with my mind, but I couldn't control the ocean. When I woke up the idea completely evolved into a telekinesis story about superheroes.
  3. What genre does your book fall under?
    Low Sci-fi
  4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
    I don't really know actors, especially from a teen age group. So I'll just go with describing how I'd want them to be. The main character, Jane, would be moderately tall with dark straight hair and very pale. She'd have to have anger underneath the surface at all times, and be stubborn and confused about who she is. Brian, the other main character, would have to be tall and reasonably muscled. Cold to mask his insecurities and distrustful of anyone but his father. Alistair, Brian's father, would be suave. Chocolate hair, light eyes, and just a small amount of oily craziness. And Alicia would be classically pretty with more physical insecurities than any one person should have to deal with.
  5. What is a one sentence synopsis of your book?
    After Jane Rossi is approached by a man who isn't afraid of her telekinesis to fix his son's eyesight, she is swept into a life of government intrigue and the circle of a madman who is creating "superheroes" for his own devious devices.
  6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
    Ideally by an agency. I don't have much money to put into self-publishing at the moment, and I'm vain enough to think I can land an agent with my work even though I haven't been published before.
  7. How long did it take you to write the the first draft of your manuscript?
    I'm still in the process of writing it, but with all the prep work I've done, I already know the story front to back. And I started it back in August, so about 5 months in the making, minus November/December when I was NaNoing/letting my brain rest from finals. So about 3 months in the making really.
  8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
    At the moment the only thing I can think of to compare it to is a dark sci-fi version of Rick Riordan's work. Where his work as trolls in hawaiian tshirts I have kids addicted to a drug which mutes their powers. Honestly, I've read more high sci-fi than low sci-fi, but I haven't seen anything like my book before. Of course, that's not to say it isn't out there.
  9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
    Sorta already answered this, but I was at the end of my last project and wondering what to do next. That night I had a dream, then I went for a long walk on the beach and formulated a story around it. Little did I know that I would fall in love with it so much. It incorporates many things I love - New York, superheroes, a creepy villain, and character back story that is important to bringing down the bad guy
  10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
    I already have the trilogy worked out. It has unconventional superheroes who use their powers for evil, but are not at all evil. Well, maybe. You never know...
Rules: Answer these ten questions about your current WIP on your blog. Tag up to five writers/bloggers with their links so we can hop over and meet them.

I tag: Nicole, Megan. The rest of the blogs I follow have already done the hop or are agencies who don't know my name. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome one-sentence synopsis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am *so* looking forward to reading this, it sounds really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if this might be a tiny bit like Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic series - I always really struggle with book comparisons too. But maybe its too dark for a comparison there. It was just the specialized superpowers that made me think of it.

    But it sounds really cool. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete