Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pushing the Limits

And, finally, some down time. After finishing off Eona I went back into "work mode" for the rest of the week. When I wasn't doing homework, I was doing internship stuff. When it wasn't internship stuff, it was meetings. And in those couple hours not devoted to sleep, I spent time with my friends. So when I went home for a couple days, I finally had some down time. So I read Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry.

10194514
Retrieved from Goodreads
No one knows what happened to Echo Emerson before her perfect life ended and she became the "freak" with scars all over her arms. Not even Echo remembers that night. Last time she tried to remember she had a breakdown. But the school psychologist thinks she will never be whole unless she works towards the memory. At the same time, Noah Hutchinson is fighting for visitation rights and hoping for custody of his two younger brothers. He's a product of the foster care system, which he's sure doesn't give a damn about him. When Echo is assigned to tutor bad-boy Noah, sparks begin to fly.

This book dealt with a lot of heavy stuff. Abusive parents, drugs, alcohol, kids in the system who don't get good shakes, custody battles, death of parents, mental instability, an evil stepmom, an overbearing dad, fights, and mean kids at school. I'm getting tired just thinking about it. Pushing the Limits was an intriguing book, and the characters were well fleshed out and the story complicated. I had two problems with it. 1 - it dealt with too much. I know that's bad to say, but with so many awful things happening I couldn't sympathize with all of them. 2 - explanation. This book did a little more telling than showing than I thought was right. Personal preference though. Would still recommend.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment